Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Check Yourself

I resently reached out to someone I didn't know for a position on a voluntary board. I haven't heard anything. My immediate thought was to be angry and want nothing to do with the organization. That lasted 2 minutes. Then I began to doubt whether he thought I was good enough. I know I'm good enough ( an improvement from the past). A lot of other thoughts came to mind. You know the race issue presented itself. I don't use the race card because I always stand on my own merrit, but if you don't take the time to get to know me - I'm not naive enough to think that racism isn't present in this world. Hell, I don't even know if he knows I'm black.  But I will ignore all of these thoughts and check myself. I volunteer from the heart. It's not about recognition. It's about the feeling of well being that I get from helping others. I also have to remember that it's not always about me. There could be other things going on in peoples lives. If it is about me, I can't control what others think. I can only control my reaction to it. I am not defined by what people think of me. So I continue to help my cause. Letting people know about Lupus. Being a face and a voice. Knowledge is power right?! The more people who know and connect themselve to this disease the more help we will get.

No comments:

Post a Comment